Don’t feel shy, you can enter the International Museum of Toilets without feeling in your stomach. The museum is home to the world’s most expensive & quirky toilets. Some of which are carved out in wooden seats etc. Don’t believe us? Here is a short history and picture story for all you to get a better idea of what to look out for here.
30 Second Window:
- Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak is the Founder at Sulabh International Museum of Toilets. He is the icon of sanitation & social reform who made a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- The Museum has a rare collection of facts, pictures and objects detailing the historic evolution of toilets from 2500 BC to date. It provides a chronological account of developing technology, toilet related social customs & prevailing sanitary conditions.
- It also houses an extensive display of chamber-pots, toilet furniture, bidets & water closets in use since 1145 AD! The museum also hosts a collection of beautiful poems related to toilets and its usage.
- The pictures and the models of the toilets are reminiscent of the time when people did not have toilets. And tries to show us how there will always be a need for good sanitary conditioning in India, first propagated by Mahatma Gandhiji.
- The museum traces the history of toilets from the Indus Valley Civilisation where a highly developed drainage system used to exist!
- That you take a load off and shift your gears toward this cool museum. Just don’t end up sitting on any of the toilets, they’re delicate pieces of art that must be handled with care!
In the meanwhile, you can check out Sulabh International Museum of Toilets’ website here.
Location | Sulabh Bhawan, Palam Dabri Road, Mahavir Enclave
Nearest Metro Station | Janakpuri West
Google Maps | Click Here