Are you yearning for some adventure? Do you need a respite from NCR’s scorching heat and the unbearable city madness? – Well, we’ve got it all sorted for you. So, go on, take a break from work and choose the refreshing Triund trek that is guaranteed to soothe your soul.
Popularly known as the ‘Crown Jewel’ of Dharamshala, Triund is situated in the lap of Dhauladhar mountains, about 18 kilometers from Dharamshala.
This trek is a must for nature lovers, for it offers you breathtaking views of the Kangra Valley on one side and the Dhauladhar Mountains on the other, a sight so beautiful you will never forget.
The uphill trudge to Triund can be easily accomplished by almost all age groups. Triund has an unambiguous byway which goes through a beautiful mixed forest of oak, deodar and rhododendron.
What’s For Eatin’?
There is no dearth of eating options as there are several cafes on the way – Magic View, Scenic View and Snowline Café and small tea shops where you can stop to have a cuppa and revive yourself. The walk is 9 km long, mostly uphill, but moderately so.
When you eat after tons of climbing, food is elevated to a thing of beauty – the samosas at the tea stalls were golden, paper thin, super crispy flaky exterior, lush, ultra-buttery, multi-layered insides… Mmm.
The Triund trek can be accomplished in 3 hours if you’re one of those who are uber-fit, or by walking for around 4-5 hours, often pausing to click a picture and catch your breath, till you finally reach the destination – Triund (2827 meters, 9275 feet).
The trek is fairly easy for the first five kilometers but the last one kilometer may require quite a bit of toil, the last one kilometer is popularly known as the ’22 curves’ as it has 22 tiring curves before you finally reach Triund. There are 3 check points along the way where you can rest and take a break. The camp site on the top is vast, and never feels too crowded.
There’re quite a few shops at Triund that serve tea, make food and rent out rooms and tents for night.
You can turn up with warm clothes and set up camp here. Lie down and stargaze, and let the tranquility wash over you. Soak in the exquisite view. Mix around with the locals and chat with them over a cup of tea. Their warmth and affection will make you fall in love with this place.
Here’re a few tips that will make your journey easier if you’re planning for the Triund trek:
- Water’s scarce and is available some 1 km from Triund. So, it is highly advisable to carry your own supply of drinking water up here.
- While trekking always breathe from your nose, and don’t take breaths through the mouth, it will burn your energy much faster.
- You must climb slowly, don’t over rush the climb in your excitement to reach the top.
- Carry some toffees with you, it will help if you are feeling exhausted or faint.
- Always, always carry a knife.
- If you are carrying a backpack, pack as lightly as possible since you will be carrying the weight on your shoulders.
- Good trekking shoes are ensure a comfortable climb.
If this article has set you up for a trek to Triund, check this amazing trip here.