With all the chaos in life you are always in a rush to get something done. Remember the good old days when you were spotted now n then reading your favorite author or the romantic series. Some of you were lost in another world solving mysteries of their bestsellers. Books were the best friends and be assured they still are. Reading a book becomes even more interesting and a joy to soul when you have that perfect place to read your copy. Few well equipped libraries are sorted here to let you chose as per your geo location, pocket and choice of ambience.
- Delhi Public Library
Delhi Public Library has a great collection of both academic and non-academic books. All you have to do is to carry a proof of residency (voter ID card, ration card) to prove that you are a Delhi resident and you can access a huge collection of up to 16 lakh books. Not only that, it also has journals, periodicals and other reading materials from all over the country. It is also well-equipped with all modern facilities like internet.
- Where: They have several branches but one of their biggest ones is in Sarojini Nagar. The address is H-Block, Main Market, Sarojini Nagar, Delhi 110023.
- Timings: 8 AM to 8 PM. Closed on Sundays.
- Price: For a nominal price of Rs. 20, you can get a membership for 5 years.
- The American Library
Anyone can have free access to the library. But a membership will allow you to borrow up to four books, two back issues of periodicals and two DVDs. It also allows you to access the library accounts online, renew materials and place hold requests for available material. There is also free Wi-Fi in the library! Go there and have a quiet down time.
- Where: American Center, 24 Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Near Barakhamba Metro Station, New Delhi, Delhi 110001.
- Timings: Monday to Saturday; 11 AM to 6 PM.
- Price: Individual at Rs. 400 per year; families at Rs. 500 per year.
- Japan Foundation Library
If you’re a manga fan, this library is the perfect place for you. There are also works from acclaimed writers and it gives you a chance to explore the amazing world of manga like never before! They also have books in Japanese and research info related to Japan including international cultural exchanges. Access is free provided you are a resident of Delhi.
- Where: 5A, Ring Road, Lajpat Nagar 4, Near Moolchand Metro Station, New Delhi, Delhi 110024.
- Timings: 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM on weekdays; 11 AM to 6:30 PM on Saturday; closed on Sundays.
- Price: Rs. 300 per year.
- British Council Library
This library promotes creativity and diversity of British society and culture. They function with many government agencies and departments to promote the English language. Membership ensures that you’re invited to workshops, seminars, and events.
- Where: 17, Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi, Delhi 110001.
- Timings: 10 AM to 6 PM; closed on Sundays.
- Price: Starts at Rs. 1000.
- National Archives of India
This is a well-maintained and fully air conditioned library that has over 1, 70, 000 publications. There are plenty of research oriented materials for the needs of Research Scholars, Government Agencies, Trainees, etc. Books are provided only for consultation for studying in the Reading Room.
- Where: Janpath, New Delhi 110001.
- Timings: 9:30 AM to 6 PM; closed on weekends.
With such plenty options to read and relive your memories, select one for your peace of mind and never ending learning. After all we live young, as long we keep learning!